Friday 12 December 2008

Handicap Blitzes

In the run up to Christmas, both Barnstaple and Ilfracombe are running Handicap Blitz tournaments next week, Barnstaple on Monday and Ilfracombe on Tuesday.

Each round of these events lasts 20 minutes, with the following distribution of time for the two players:

Each player's grade is rounded to the nearest multiple of 10. Then:

If the two players' effective grades are the same, they get 10 minutes each.
If the two players' effective grades differ by 10n, where n is less than or equal to 8, the weaker player gets 10+n minutes and the stronger player gets 10-n minutes.
If the two players' effective grades differ by more than 80, the weaker player gets 18 minutes and the stronger player 2 minutes.

I don't know whether I'll be around for these events. If I am, I suspect I will be playing with 2 minutes to my opponent's 18 in every round.

No comments: